May 1, 2012

Thou Shalt Not Covet

“Don’t make Craig C___ your god.”  My dear mother would often wash me with those words as I left for high school in the morning.

Craig was BMOC.  He was charismatic, a gifted actor, musician, artist, and handsome as the day is long.  If you were proto-typing the perfect American male, you’d start with Craig and not tweak much.  Even two and three years after moving to this new town, I still felt like an outsider and I was happy to have a friend like Craig.  We played sports together, performed in band together, and performed in plays together.  It was a happy friendship.

But Craig was from “a broken home” (as we said in the 70s) and my folks could see that his world lacked discipline and boundaries.  My parents’ strategy was to minimize contact with “unsavory” characters and influences.  I’ve learned not to judge my mother’s protective instincts, but I do often think she went about it the wrong way.

After high school graduation, I went off to college and a career.  Craig headed for the spotlight.  He recorded music in Nashville, he acted in Hollywood, he created some marvelous bronze sculptures.  But as we bumped into each other just a couple times over the following forty years, Craig opened my eyes to an astounding realization.  In high school, he looked up to me.  As adults, in spite of the apparent glamour of his life, it was my marriage and family that he valued.  I understand that he currently spends most of his days alone, golfing a little bit with the boys down at the club in rural Texas.

Every human has a “the grass is greener on the other side of the fence” chip – we are hard wired to compare and wish we had what other have.  A three year old sees another child with an ice cream cone and immediately wants one no matter if it’s breakfast or bedtime.  As children get older, the kids with trampolines and swimming pools are the envy of their peers.  As teens, the kids who get to go on skiing vacations are “the lucky ones”.

When my sons wished they had what their friends had, I tried to not buy into the coveting cycle with them.  I’ve tried to use “I wish” moments as an opportunity to bless other people’s good fortune and hard work, but also to teach some economics.  “Son, I’d love to take the family skiing for a week, also.  Sounds like a ton of fun.  You know I work hard, but on our family’s income, we’d have to give up one of our cars to afford a trip like that.  Think of all we do in our cars.”

When my kids point out the excellence in their peers and think out loud how nice it must be to be so talented or athletic, I use it as an opportunity to point out the hard work and persistence it takes excel at anything.  I also point out my child’s natural talents and I’ll say things like, “I know being able to do what (talented kid) does is great, but we’re all made different and I’m proud of your ability to (talent).”

And always thinking of Craig, there’s one more thing I’ve done throughout my children’s lives.  I’ve flung the front door wide open and invited their friends to be part of our family.  Not just come over and play, but to eat a meal with us, to sit and talk with my wife and me.  I’m not the perfect father, but if any of these kids need a father or a respectable father-figure, I intend to make sure they know that I’m there for them as well as my own sons.  I know already it has made a difference in several lives.

I never met Craig’s dad, but I knew of him and if you lived in the 60s or 70s you’ve seen his work.  He worked for NASA in Houston designing logo artwork for each Apollo mission.  Isn’t it ironic that the thing Craig could tell us about his dad was how he was sort of famous for things he did for other people.  None of you have ever heard of my dad, but he made my house a home.  In essence, my mother was right.  I should never set anyone or thing on a pedestal.  But mom’s righteousness lacked wisdom.  My world was filled with people who needed to believe again in a stable home where husband and wife loved each other and their kids.

I love being a dad.  It’s Good To Be The Dad!  And it is better, still, to share my love with those talented stars of tomorrow who just need to feel a father’s embrace today.

Clark H Smith