Nov 25, 2011

It’s Good To Be The Dad

I have a manila folder labeled “It’s Good To Be The Dad”.  Birthday cards, thank you notes, and other scraps serve as little reminders that, well, it’s good to be the dad!  Hallmark isn’t beating down my door to license the corny, awkward sentiments on those notes, but they’re as precious to me as anything I own.  Crayon and pencil are the media of choice and I’d grab that folder before any fine art if the house was on fire.

Maybe it’s just in my own head, but I think dads start out with a weak hand when it comes to parenting.  We are not natural nurturers and that’s what a child needs most from us.  The precious notes in my IGTBTD folder serve as mile markers on my journey through Dadlandia.

I’ve heard it said that mothers are the leading lovers in the family and dads are the loving leaders.  I’ll buy that.  But I have to ask myself, where am I lovingly leading my children?  Have you ever thought about it that way?  Where are you leading your children?  I look ahead 30 years and this is what I want to see - let's call them the seven visions.
  • a person living their faith with integrity
  • a confident person encouraging others
  • a spouse who’s partner can’t wait to see them at the end of the day
  • a citizen contributing to the betterment of their home, workplace, and community
  • a financially shrewd person
  • a wise person contributing to the wisdom of others
  • a parent replicating this list in their children
That list is not a dream for the future, it’s an action plan for today.  Everything I do should feed the fulfillment of that list in my children.  Fortunately, the dad journey is long and slow.  Sometimes I stall out and, by not asking directions, I’ve been known to get lost “once in a great while”.

I’ll be honest with you… my dad was a very good man, but not a great father.  He put food on the table and paddled my butt as often as I needed it.  He did not nurture me to be a husband or father.  I feel like I’ve had to figure out this fathering thing on my own.  Every time I look at my kids, my heart soars with aspirations of being a great dad.  And every time they look up to me, I see the value of my efforts and I’m always reminded, you know, it’s good to be the dad.

#SoundOff:  I’d love to have you add to my list.  What did I forget?  What did you receive from your dad that you are intentional about passing on to your kids?    Are you looking for some wisdom or do you need encouragement today?  How can I help?  Sound off on our Facebook page.

Clark H Smith