Nov 26, 2011

One Small Step


Challenge: When does patience / tolerance / assistance turn into enabling bad behavior?

It’s 11am the day after Thanksgiving.  My 16 year old son just had his first of seven plates of leftovers.  Done eating, he ran some water over his plate and laid it in the sink.  It still has more debris on it than I’d like to put in the dishwasher… and he put it in the sink, not the dishwasher.  Pretty sure he can handle the complexities of getting a dish all the way into the dishwasher.  But he’s downstairs now playing video games. 

You ever been in this situation?  What would you do?  Should I call him back upstairs to finish the job?  Should I rinse the plate and put it in the dishwasher for him?  Should I make him do all the dishes today to reinforce kitchen courtesy?  I guess I could just go to the ManCave and let my wife handle it.

Dads tiptoe along a thin white stripe between constant griping and letting our kids develop some bad behaviors.  Do you wrestle with this?  Infrequently “getting things straightened out” can be messy business.  You’re suddenly tapping a reservoir of irritation and your child feels like they’ve done a lot wrong for a long time.

Dads, we are the Loving Leaders in our homes.  My goal is to lead my son to be a great husband and father, himself.  There’s a lot on the line and not just about the dishes.  I don’t want to lead my son toward being a lazy person who expects others to clean up after him. 

I have never had a bad conversation with a child that begins with “I want to explain why I think this is important.”  Never.  No child is motivated by griping.  They need you to set the goal out in front of them and encourage them to pursue it.  Junior is still going to put the well-rinsed plate in the dishwasher, but he will do so either begrudgingly or responsibly.  The difference is up to me.

What did I actually do?  I rinsed the plate, put it in the dishwasher, and sent him a text that he owes me $1.

SoundOff:  What’s your approach to teaching good habits?  What are you going to clean up today?  Veteran dads, give the younger dads some encouragement about dealing with the small stuff.  Sound off at the IGTBTD Facebook page.

Clark H Smith