Nov 20, 2012

Christmas Gifts – What and Why

When I was in college I was invited to house-sit the homes of several upper-middle class families.  Just days before one Christmas, I spent the night in a home of a family who’d flown to Colorado for a pre-Christmas ski trip.  The home left a great impression on me.

In the family room, a tree stretched from floor to 12 foot vaulted ceiling.  It was decked and trimmed from trunk to tip.  And yet, a good quarter of the tree could hardly be seen.  Gifts for the three girls of the home piled waist-deep, completely encircling the large conifer. 

My parents were not wealthy.  The older I get, the more I realize how impoverished we were financially.  I’d never seen such a gift-giving spectacle.  I was, in a word, impressed.

As the dad of four boys, I often faced Christmas as a daunting challenge.  How many gifts are sufficient?  How much should I spend?  How do I strategize a gift that packs the “WOW” punch and not get diluted with all the other gifts?  My wife and I found ourselves wandering the aisles of Batteries R Us, juggling gift equality based largely on how much we spent on each child.

Although gift-giving is a long-standing social custom in most cultures, the reason my family exchanges gifts… at Christmas... is because we’re honoring our belief that God gave Jesus to the world.  We are created in God’s image so gift-giving is in our DNA.  Jesus also received gifts at His birth.  Remember gold, frankincense, and myrrh?  And don’t forget that Joseph and Mary chipped in according to their means – swaddling clothes.

Those four gifts are the categories of gifts we give our children every year.  (Actually, these are simply the four gifts we give.  Each child has four gifts under the tree.  We have replaced abundance with thoughtfulness and meaning.)  Please take about five minutes and read more about The Jesus Gifts.  I hope it inspires more meaningful gifting.

Just today, I read an article by British man that almost set my blood boiling.  The first paragraph really ticked me off, but I read on and realized how wise his suggestions were.  One section heading makes a point that I urge every gift-giver to consider carefully: “We're disconnecting from why we give”.

The Jesus Gifts process draws my wife and I into a deep and thoughtful examination of each child’s life.  Every year, the Gold gift is a celebration of each child’s personality and bent in life.  We usually start our planning in the late summer.  We talk about each child, what they’re doing in life, what they’re interested in, and where we see them moving forward. 

Gold, especially, is born out of those conversations.  Frankincense, myrrh, and swaddling clothes also grow out of those considerations of each child’s life.  I hope for you that Christmas gifting is a process (not a purchase) that causes you to embrace each child’s life deeply.

It’s not to late to look at The Jesus Gifts and see if it doesn’t give you some inspiration.  I hope it does.  And by the way, Merry Christmas.

Clark H Smith